Let’s take a trip down memory lane to 1993. Bill Clinton takes office as the 42nd president. Basketball legend Michael Jordan retires (for the first time). Jurassic Park takes theater crowds by storm. Prince changes his name, for a short time, to a signature symbol. Dave Smith enters the doors of Penna Powers Cutting Haynes for his first day as an intern.
Dave Smith joined the PPBH public relations team as an intern while completing his senior year at Weber State University. Early on he stood out because of his strategic ability, entrepreneurial drive, leadership skills and unwavering integrity in both business and personal relationships.
Now 20 years later, Smith heads the agency, now known as Penna Powers Brian Haynes, as managing partner. Some of his accomplishments on his way to managing partner include (but not limited to):
- Appointed to PPBH’s director of public relations in 1996.
- Promoted to PPBH’s vice president of public relations in 2001.
- Led the PPBH team that created and executed the “Know Before You Go” transportation campaign for the Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Winter Games.
- Named PPBH’s director of client services in 2002.
- Founded PPBH’s public involvement division in 2003.
- Certified as an Accredited Public Relations (APR) practitioner in 2003 and served as local chapter president in 2005.
- Named as a partner at PPBH in 2003.
- Named managing partner in January 2013.
From his beginnings to now taking the helm as managing partner, Smith’s personal and business philosophy remains constant, something he has always conveyed to his team. Focus on client service. Deliver results. Always, always do the right thing. Be creative in problem solving. Listen, think, then act—in that order. Treat people fairly, Smith always counsels and shows by example.
The result of all of this is achieving numerous professional and personal goals while at the same time earning the loyalty of business peers, staff, colleagues, clients, family and friends.
Read the full news release announcing Smith’s appointment to managing partner here.